Wednesday 17 October 2007

Preparations

The last few weeks have gone with such a rush that I have delayed starting this blog. The exact dates and happenings of recent events are lost to me but I shall attempt to provide the gist. Needless to say I have been very busy. My identity as a Foundling Artist is slipping away and I am now looking forward to the adventures that await me in Bedford.

The aftermath of RSVP has left me with a few things to start thinking about. I've done the tour of the art fairs and seen some galleries I'd love to work with. If only it seemed as easy to persuade them that they'd like to work with me. Gill Hedley has made an excellent job of giving me lists of names to follow up and has bolstered my confidence with kind words. I just have to do something with them.

Ahead of me is a residency with BCA Gallery in Bedford which seems like another test, another important way-point. I remember the interview pretty well. Katie Walton had sent me a (slightly panicky?) text about half an hour before suggesting I emphasise the educational aspects of my proposal. Once underway I must have seemed like an over-excited puppy. I spoke rapidly about ideas for involving all sorts of social groups in my practice; young people, old people , narcoleptics and dyspeptics, all would be showered with artistic joy. I can't remember any of the ideas now, hopefully the interview panel wrote some of them down. Anyway I'm starting to think more carefully now about the whole expedition the highs and lows of which I intend to record here. Also my wife has just embarked on a transatlantic voyage leaving me to juggle a teenager and two dogs.